Saturday, September 20, 2014

What the new season of Doctor Who is teaching me about teaching.

The current season of Doctor Who (Saturday nights, BBC America) is giving me a lot to think about when it comes to teaching. For the uninitiated, Doctor Who follows a humanoid Time Lord called The Doctor who travels time and space in his TARDIS, a stolen time machine disguised as a 1960s Police Box.

Much like Sherlock Holmes and John Watson, the Doctor and his companion often play the role of brain and heart. Companions function as an audience surrogate, but are often invaluable when mysteries stretch beyond reason. The Doctor's current companion is Clara Oswald, a school teacher. In the latest episode, a soldier questions Clara's qualifications to help with a dangerous mission.

Soldier Joan Blue: Are you sure you understand?
Clara: Why wouldn't I?
Soldier Joan Blue: Because this is a dangerous mission and you look like a school teacher.
Clara: I am a school teacher!

In just three episodes this season, the Doctor has thrown Clara into dangerous situations with the faith that she will be clever enough to find a way out of it, with little or no harm to others. When Clara does need guidance, however, the Doctor doesn't just set her straight... he retrains the way she thinks and approaches situations. If anything, this is the incarnation of the Doctor who teaches his companions how to think outside of the box, to ask the right questions, and to be bold when seeking the answers. Of course, the Doctor does not have all the answers. Being non-human means he lacks a certain empathy in some situations. The school teacher, however, is naturally bold and honest and has the moral authority to not just solve the mystery, but to avoid destruction and find other ways to solve problems.

The Doctor: Daleks are evil. That's what we just learned!
Clara: No, Doctor, that is not what we just learned.
...
Clara: Think about it, is that what we learned?

The Doctor teaches Clara how to think critically, but Clara teaches the Doctor how to reflect on the value of such critical thinking. When she wins him over, he is able to see what she sees, and states, "We can do better."

One thing that a school teacher and a genius alien can agree on is that the truth and knowledge are beautiful, precious things. Ideally, teachers should be the Doctor and the companion, the Sherlock and the Watson, the brain and the heart. I'd like to be the type of teacher who can send a pupil into the academic unknown and say, "You are clever! You can figure this out!" or "You're cleverer than this! We can do better!" I'd like to be the teacher who can teach students to ask the right questions, to challenge them to do better and not settle for solutions set in front of them. Good teachers teach students how to listen, how to do, and how to be strong and independent when faced with daunting tasks. 

You want weapons? We're in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world! This room's the greatest arsenal we could have - arm yourselves!
- The Doctor 

9 comments:

  1. Love your connection to Dr. Who. You are also speaking about cultivating a growth mindset in students. Check out Dweck's work on the subject!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AH! I can't read anymore I have only had time to watch the first 15 minutes of the first episode for this season! My entire family loves doctor who. There is a comic store in Casselberry that has a life size Tardes. It is near 17-92 and 434; you should check it out. It is surely an inspiring show. Dr. Who even helped me make a connection with the students in my internship classroom! I am motivated to find a Dr. Who inspirational poster for my classroom!

    We even stopped at Hot Topic today with my kids and they have an entire section for the blue box!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been to Acme comics, but not recently. I will try to keep my posts spoiler free!

      Delete
  3. I have never seen a Dr.Who episode, but it sounds like I should change that. All the reviews I have heard of the show are that its really interesting and keeps you on your toes. It is evident from your expert that it has much more depth than a lot of shows ; such as Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia ( which is a great show though ).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure Charlie could benefit from some literacy instruction! Always Sunny is one of my favorites!

      Delete
  4. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE DOCTOR WHO. I never wanted to get into the hype, but once I started, I just couldn't stop. Binge-watched Netflix for a two weeks straight. lol.

    I love how you were able to look at the Doctor's and Clara's dynamic and relate it to teaching, because that's exactly how it is. They both enable each other to develop their minds and think outside the TARDIS (bah, lame DW joke. lol).

    I especially loved the library episode; it made me very sad though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ALMOST wrote "thinking outside the blue box" but held myself back.

      Delete
  5. I like how you are able to take something like this and find a way to apply it to the classroom. I haven't seen Doctor Who before but I might have to now. It sounds pretty good!

    ReplyDelete