Monday, November 17, 2014

The Digital Writing Workshop (T. Hicks)

As you may have guessed from my last entry, I have just finished reading The Digital Writing Workshop by Troy Hicks (available here through Amazon). Chapter seven was a summary of the book, which highlighted some of the key messages throughout the book, such as "Teach the writer, not the writing," and emphasizing the importance of choice in student motivation. The rest of the book, however, goes into great detail about the technical considerations when starting a digital writing workshop.

For some, this book can function as the technical guide on how to choose or start a blog, track changes, and collaborate digitally. As a regular internet user who feels pretty tech savvy, I wish more of the book had been like chapter seven, which focused more on classroom life. Maybe this is because I'm pre-service, but I'm really more interested in how to orchestrate 30 kids trying to write compose 100 different things on 8 computers. Hicks has the answer to that, of course, which is to create table clusters (they encourage collaboration) and surround students with traditional writing tools (because the mind needs a break from writing sometimes). The physical space is, I feel, as important as the virtual space for digital writing workshops. I find it difficult to function on a laptop if I'm in a noisy area or in a car, but if I can sit down on my bed with a halo of notes and papers, I'm ready to write. Similarly, students need a space that fosters the digital writing spirit but also consists of more than a laptop with a web browser open.

The pre-service status caused quite a bit of anxiety when I read this book. The answers are all in there, but I have no experience to apply the answers to. Thanks to Hicks, I know that there are some great tools to help students manage their citations (a tedious task that used to involve index cards and a battered, tear-stained MLA handbook) and that, if I know where to look, I can track student revisions as a method of formative assessment. In the literal sense, this book offers complete instructions on how to use digital tools with writing instruction. What I wish there had been more of, however, is instructions on how to incorporate digital tools into a variety of topics or units.

A great resource in this book, however, is the inclusion of real life lesson plans, rubrics, and student work.  Appendix 1 is particularly rich with practical uses for wikis, step-by-step guidance on how much class time to spend on digital writing, and the technical issues of ownership. In an ideal world, the Appendix would be three times as long as Hicks wrote, but I am nonetheless grateful for the shared knowledge.

The most important instruction that Hicks imparts is to stumble forward into the unknown and learn along the way. By the time a truly thorough guide on digital writing could be published, the technology it discusses would be stale. Learn as you go, this book teaches, and make the tasks authentic, interesting, and valuable.

6 comments:

  1. I loved your input, Aliza. This book seems like it could be quite beneficial for me and many other teachers. I feel that I am tech savvy to an extent, but this whole blogging process has helped me realize that I still have much more to learn. I understand where you are coming from about wanting to learn more about the skill of balancing classroom management and technology. I have definitely experienced first hand just how out of control things can get when technology is used and abused. Ultimately it seems like chapter 7 is a great start to grasping a better understanding and putting a plan into action!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aliza,
    Thanks for the overview of digital writing! I really enjoyed the brief summary and all your thoughts. Chapter 7 sounds like the "heart" of this book and a great place to learn about incorporating digital writing into students' lives and classroom environments. As a pre-service teacher, I can understand you wanting more from this book but it seems like this book was successful at offering lots of great ideas and resources in the digital aspect. Overall, this book seems like a perfect digital guide for any classroom.
    -Iris Sanchez.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the overview of your book. After reading you post, I think it would be beneficial for me to go out and get this book. Unlike others, I'm not tech savvy whatsoever so I'm sure I'll benefit from this read. I too understand where you're coming from when you state you want to learn more about the skills of balancing classroom management and technology.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Hicks. We do have to stumble forward and our students can help us with that. Management of 150 kids and their blogs can be daunting. The most I've had at at time is 50. You can also have one blog per class and have a student be responsible for one day a month. They can still compose, but then they have just one that you are responsible for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like being pre-service makes such a huge difference in the things that we're learning. Actually being in the classroom and facing the day to day challenges are so different from what I see described in the text books. I have had to collaboratively rite in creative writing classes, and I hate it. I don't know if i can see being able to measure a collectively presented piece of writing. How do you asses that without knowing which students contributed what? I think it can be an awesome tool, but the implementation still worries me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for posting such an honest review of the book! I agree with the idea of learning as we go because I feel as though that is the only way to be able to really get use to something anymore, especially when it comes to technology.

    ReplyDelete