Tuesday, November 4, 2014

We Love Our Bread, We Love Our Butter

I made bread! The alleged "5 Minute Artisan Bread" that I found on Pinterest took about 20 minutes for me to mix. The yeast took at least 7 minutes to foam up and it took another 10 minutes for my weak arms to stir the thick dough "vigorously" enough to smooth everything into something bakeable. (I ended up adding water and putting the bowl on a chair while mixing. Short and weak! What a struggle.) From there, most of the recipe called for waiting. Wait 30 minutes for bread to rise. Make an impossibly smooth sphere, put it in a pot and wait 30 minutes for it to rise some more. If anything, this was an exercise in patience. I peeked at the yeast while it was foaming. I peeked at the dough while it was rising under a tea towel. I peeked under the lid when it was rising again. I peeked in the oven even though the pot was too tall to look into. 

The bread came out perfect. It had dill and garlic and the crust was just right. It was hearty and delicious on its own. I always enjoy baking from scratch but I felt particularly proud of my wonderful bread. Bread is a humble staple but always was too big for me to try. I'm glad I did. My bread was delicious and there's something really exciting about making a tangible, edible thing


4 comments:

  1. I love to bake, which can take patience, but bread is not my thing. Unless the "quick bread" comes in a box I want nothing to do with it. I commend you for taking the time to make bread from scratch because it always tastes better that way. Your final product sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That really looks and sounds delicious! I don't have much patience for baking (even cooking,) but I would really love to start baking more. It does take time and patience, but don't all good things?

    I'll give this a try! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! The sharing of cooking and baking are my favorite open posts! Sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds amazing! I definitely want to start experimenting more in the kitchen. If only I had more time and money to actually buy a million ingredients for a bunch of recipes.

    ReplyDelete